The Internet giant awarded the most beautiful Croatian palaces and castles
There are ten of them on the list so far, and the list will be expanded
In short – The Gold Pin is a recognition awarded by Google based on the ratings and reviews of Google Maps users. The idea of awarding the best rated places was born three years ago in Poland as part of the celebration of the 15th birthday of Google Maps. Since the project was very well accepted not only by the winners, but also by users who felt local pride, Google decided to expand the project to other countries as well.
And that's where Croatia enters the story
So far ten of them have been selected, among the Croatian winners are magnificent, impressive, sumptuous castles and palaces that, with their unique appearance and numerous legends, revive the spirit of past times and tell the story of Croatia's rich past. From archaeological sites, medieval towns, romantic lakes and parks to masterpieces of Roman architecture. Remarkable buildings with instructive stories and beautiful views have won the hearts of visitors and Google Maps users who have awarded them high marks.
Among the awardees are Trakošćan Castle, Eltz Castle, Old Town Čakovec, Trsat Castle, Veliki Tabor Castle, Old Town Ozalj, Morosini-Grimani Castle, Frankopan Castle Krk and Diocletian's Palace and Sponza Palace. Regardless of whether you are a fan of continental or coastal Croatia, if you want to discover more about Croatian castles and palaces or plan to visit them, Google has prepared the e-book "Roads to Castles and Palaces", which will help you plan your trip as efficiently as possible. Between stories about castles, there you can find tips and tricks that will be of great help to you during your trip, such as Live View, Google Lens, Multisearch and many other applications.
Below you can find a list of awarded castles and palaces and a few interesting facts about each of them:
• Trakošćan Castle – is one of the most attractive Croatian castles, located in Varaždin County, which together with the lake and park-forest form a beautiful romantic whole. A visit to the castle is a real opportunity to explore the medieval walls and enjoy the natural beauty of Hrvatski Zagorje.
• Eltz Castle – a baroque castle located on the banks of the Danube is one of the symbols of the city on the Danube and although it survived heavy suffering, it is an essential tourist destination. One of the most important festivals – the Vukovar Film Festival is held on the lawn of Eltz Castle.
• The old town of Čakovec is the most valuable cultural and historical monument in Međimurje. During the time of the Czech-Austrian Althan family, the old Renaissance palace was transformed into a monumental baroque castle, which today is a symbol of the identity and tradition of Međimurje County.
• Trsat castle – one of the most visited and recognizable symbols of the city of Rijeka. The castle has preserved features of early medieval construction, and today it is enriched with new contents and summer concerts and open-air theater performances are often held there.
• Veliki Tabor Castle – located in Croatian Zagorje in the municipality of Desinić, it is one of the best-preserved medieval towns and is a representative of the fortification architecture of the late Middle Ages. It is associated with a legend about a love story between a nobleman and a commoner, Veronika Desinićka.
• The old town of Ozalj is a medieval town, located on a gorge above the Kupa River. It was converted into a castle in the 18th century and although it had many owners, the Zrinski and Frankopan families had the greatest influence. The castle offers the most beautiful view of the Kupa river canyon.
• Kaštel Morosini-Grimani – is located in the center of picturesque Svetvinčent and has been a symbol of the center itself for centuries. It was built in the 13th century, and today's castle represents a form of late medieval construction with strongly emphasized Renaissance characteristics.
• The Frankopan castle of Krk – is the greatest historical testimony of the settlement of Krk…